Know Your Rights!
As a tenant, you have rights! For information on Fairfax County Tenant/Landlord Rights & Responsibilities, click here.
If you are in Fairfax County and would like to file a complaint, click here. This database also allows you to search for past complaints BEFORE moving into a property.
For legal resources, click here. Please note that George Mason University cannot provide legal advice or assistance.
To read the complete Virginia Residential Landlord and Tenant Act (VRLTA), click here.
Calculate Your Expenses
As an additional resource, feel free to use this Sample Housing Budget to estimate your expenses. Please note that this may not include all costs, so be sure to review your lease terms!
CORT furniture is a strong partner with George Mason University to help students find affordable furniture for rent or purchase. For more information, please go to their website at: http://www.cort.com/
Housing Webinar Information Session
Looking for off-campus housing? Feel free to watch the webinars that cover the following:
1. How to navigate Mason’s online off-campus housing database (och.gmu.edu)
2. The average cost of apartments in Northern Virginia
3. Tips for finding roommates
4. What to look for before signing a lease
Attention first-year freshmen students!
As of summer 2016, Mason will require all first-year students to live on campus.
Students may be exempt from the requirement to live in the residence halls if:
- The student will reach the age of 20 prior to the first day of classes of their first term of enrollment
- The student is married
- The student has dependent family (children or parents) under the student’s care
- The student resides in the principal residence of a parent or legal guardian within the counties of Fairfax, Arlington, Alexandria, Prince William, and parts of Loudoun*. Students desiring this exemption must apply and provide parent or legal guardian endorsement.
- Medical and/or disability circumstances
- Financial hardship that would result from living on campus
- Cultural or religious considerations
- Unforeseen changes in a student’s circumstances
For more information on this new policy, please visit the Mason Housing website.
For additional information regarding requests for exemption, contact Housing and Residence Life at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 703-993-2720.
Still Need Help?
Off-Campus Student Programs and Services will come to your residence hall, class, student organization, or other group for a Lease Education Workshop. Sign up here today!