Attention first-year freshmen students!
Mason requires all first-year students (first-semester Freshmen) to live on campus. All incoming transfer students and current Mason upperclassmen can live off campus without filling out an exemption.
Students may be exempt from the requirement to live in the residence halls if:
- The student will reach the age of 20 prior to the first day of classes of their first term of enrollment
- The student is married
- The student has dependent family (children or parents) under the student’s care
- The student has Veteran status
- The student resides in the principal residence of a parent or legal guardian within the counties of Fairfax, Arlington, Alexandria, Prince William, and parts of Loudoun*. Students desiring this exemption must apply and provide parent or legal guardian endorsement.
- Medical and/or disability circumstances
- Financial hardship that would result from living on campus
- Cultural or religious considerations
- Unforeseen changes in a student’s circumstances
For more information on how to apply for exemption, please visit the Mason Housing website.
For additional information regarding requests for exemption, contact Housing and Residence Life at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 703-993-2720.