Are you concerned about the conduct of your neighbors whom you know are Mason students?
The most effective recourse Mason can take is if there is a written police report available. That report can then be shared between the responding police department and our Mason Police, and can then be forwarded to the Dean of Students/Office of Student Conduct.
The incident referral can then be reviewed to determine if a Student Conduct case should be opened by the university.
Community members can also file an incident report with our Student Conduct Office directly online: http://studentconduct.gmu.edu/contact-us/incident-reporting-form/. Just know that the Student Conduct Office cannot guarantee outcomes, nor will results be reported as students are protected by privacy laws.
Nonetheless, we are happy to work with our surrounding jurisdictions and neighbors to respond to off-campus student concerns,
We encourage neighbors to:
1) Work with their student neighbors directly to address the situation;
2) Work with the homeowner/landlord to address tenant behavior;
3) Call your local police jurisdiction to resolve the immediate behavioral misconduct;
4) Work with the local zoning office if the number of students living in the house seems to exceed the local zoning ordinance;
5) Contact your local elected officials to make them aware of the situation, as they may be able to assist.
Do you live in Fairfax County and would like more information about compliance laws? Click here!