Living on your own or with roommates can definitely be an exciting part of your college life, but it also entails certain responsibilities on your part. Apart from knowing how to establish good rapport with your roommates, be aware that wherever you live there are local regulations you need to abide by.
If you live in Fairfax county, we have included some of these regulations below for your convenience.
Local Ordinances for Fairfax County
1. Warning! Noise violations can result in up to a $1000 fine or 30 days in jail.
2. Grass and weeds cannot exceed a height of 6 inches.
3. You can have no more than four unrelated people living together.
4. Inoperable vehicles must be screened from public view.
5. Trash cans should be stored out of sight by evening the day of pick up.
6. Parking your car in the City of Fairfax? You must have a City sticker: 703-385-7884
7. Parking your car in Fairfax County? Valid VA state inspection sticker and license plate required.
8. It is illegal to park against the flow of traffic.
9. It is illegal to drink under the age of 21 in Virginia.
10. Sidewalks must be cleared 24 hours after a snowfall.
11. It is illegal to park within 10 feet of a driveway entrance.
Interested in more information on Fairfax County housing rules and regulations? Click here.
Do you live somewhere else in the DMV? Be sure to look at your local county website for more information.
Do you feel concerned about the conduct of neighbors who are Mason students? Click here for more information.