When you decide to visit a place you are looking to rent off-campus, do yourself a favor by taking the following questions with you to ask the landlord. This will protect you from any extra costs when you are ready to move out of the property.
Questions to Ask Landlord
- What are the terms of the lease? How long is it?
- Are utilities included?
- Are there additional fees on top of rent?
- Are there rules about hanging up pictures, painting the walls, etc?
- Are pets allowed? If so, is there an additional fee?
- Do I get the security deposit back at the end of the lease?
- What maintenance am I responsible for?
- Is there parking available, or is there nearby public transportation?
- Is there an onsite manager I can contact? How do I contact the landlord and/or property manager?
- When is the rent due?
- What happens if the rent is late?
- Is this is a furnished apartment/home?
- What is your policy about having guests overnight?
- What kind of heating is in the unit? Where is the thermostat located?
- Who is in control of the temperature setting?
- When is the heat turned on? Do other tenants have access to the thermostat?
- What the cleaning expectations when I move out? Does the apartment/home need to be cleaned before I leave?
As you walk around the apartment/home, take this list and check every room you might be using for damages. This protects you from any further costs the landlord might want to charge you in the future.
- Doors and Locks
- Windows and Curtains
- Smoke Detectors
- Cabinets, Sinks, Bathtub
- Washing and Drying machines (if they are inside your units)
- Please take pictures of all areas to document the condition of the home when you move in as evidence to protect yourself in the future.